Dealing with the United States immigration system can be overwhelming and confusing. Often times, it seems like once you file your paperwork, the case just disappears. One of the most important tactics for facing the immigration system is knowing how to get immigration case status.
There are several ways to get your immigration case status, depending on what part of the system you are dealing with.
Cases at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
If your case is through USCIS, there are a number of ways to get a status update on your case.
- INFOPASS Appointment– INFOPASS is free service through USCIS that allows you to schedule an appointment to talk to an immigration officer at your local USCIS office. To schedule an INFOPASS appointment, go online to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and follow the instructions. If there is no time available that works for you, check back later, because new times become available every day. Once you have made the appointment, make sure that you print out your INFOPASS confirmation notice and bring it to your appointment. You also need to bring a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license, passport, or employment authorization card), and all documents relating to your immigration case.
- USCIS My Case Status Website– If you have filed paperwork with USCIS, you should have received in the mail a receipt confirmation called an I-797C, Notice of Action. On the I-797C there is a section labeled “Application Number” or “Receipt Number.” You can use this number to check your case status at the USCIS My Case Status Website. To use the My Case Status website, go to https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/CaseStatus.do and enter the number shown on your I-797C.
- National Customer Service Center– The USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC) exists to help people through the immigration system. You can call the NCSC toll free at 1-(800)-375-5283 to talk to a customer service representative. Assistance is available in both English and Spanish.
Cases in Immigration Court
If your case is in immigration court, it is very important that you stay up to date on your cases status. There are a few ways to do this.
- Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) Hotline– EOIR, the agency that runs the nation’s immigration courts, has a hotline number you can call at any time to check the status of your case. All you need is your 9-digit alien number (or “A” number). Call the hotline at 1-800-898-7180, choose English or Spanish, enter your alien number, and follow the instructions to get your case status.
- Call the Immigration Court– You can always call the immigration court where your case is going on. The court’s phone number should be available on the paperwork you received from the court. You can also go to http://www.justice.gov/eoir/sibpages/ICadr.htm for a complete listing of all immigration courts with phone numbers. Call your court and listen to the options. Most of the time, you can press “0” to be connected to a live person.
Contact Us for assistance and more information on how to get immigration case status.Sharing ...