Lawful Permanent Residents Detained at a Port of Entry
Know What To Do if Detained
Green Card Holders – Know Your Rights
All people arriving at the U.S. border or a port of entry have basic rights. Download pdf
Lawful Permanent Residents
Lawful Permanent Residents LPRs (also known as Green Card Holders) enjoy greater rights than nonimmigrants when returning to the United States after international travel.
Like all international travelers, LPRs are subject to inspection by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) when arriving at an airport or land-based port of entry. As a Lawful Permanent Resident, CBP will screen you to determine whether you are a “returning resident” or an “arriving alien.”
Green Card Holders: Basic Things To Do if Detained at the U.S. Border
1. Respectfully request your rights.
2. If you are detained by a CBP officer, and asked questions – you do have a right to speak to an attorney or consular officer.
3. It sometimes happens that CBP officers may ignore a request. If that happens, be polite but firm that you would like to speak to your attorney or consular officer.
4. If you provide a statement – be sure to carefully review the statement BEFORE signing it.
5. It is your right to request to review the statement document before signing it.
6. If you are not comfortable with the wording of you statement – do not sign it.
7. It will be indicated that you refused to sign the document.
8. If you are a Green Card holder and officials want to confiscate your Green Card because you have ‘abandoned’ your residency – you can assert your right to see an immigration judge to review the issue of abandonment.
9. Request a Hearing before an immigration judge.
10. Call a Board Certified Immigration Attorney experienced in deportation defense.
CRITICAL: If subject to deportation – an experienced immigration lawyer is needed.
Call VERDIN – we will fight for you! Call 214-741-1700
Dallas Deportation Defense Litigation
Deportation defense is a core competency and historical strong suit at VERDIN Dallas Immigration Law. Undocumented immigrants, visa holders, and lawful permanent residents can all be placed in deportation proceedings (formally, “removal proceedings”) for any number of reasons.
VERDIN has an exceptional track record in defending clients from deportation.
VERDIN’s veteran litigators include former immigration court staff attorneys, Special Assistant U.S. Attorneys, and U.S. army Judge Advocate Generals (JAGs). Whether before an immigration court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, or a federal circuit court of appeals, VERDIN is prepared to provide the best deportation defense available.
VERDIN regularly represents clients on a wide variety of legal issues related to deportation defense. In addition, VERDIN Dallas Immigration Law is particularly skilled in the following matters:
• Seeking release from immigration detention
• Cancellation of removal
• Terminating or administratively closing removal proceedings
• Motions to reopen and to reconsider
• Waivers of inadmissibility
• Adjustment of status and readjustment of status
• Voluntary departure
Deportation Questions? Please Contact VERDIN Law
VERDIN has an exceptional track record in defending clients from deportation. VERDIN’s veteran litigators include former immigration court staff attorneys, Special Assistant U.S. Attorneys, and U.S. army Judge Advocate Generals (JAGs).
Whether before an immigration court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, or a federal circuit court of appeals, VERDIN is prepared to provide the best deportation defense available.
VERDIN boasts a combined 70 years of experience in immigration law. Since its inception, VERDIN has gained a reputation for prevailing in even the most complicated immigration matters.
“As a Board Certified, Immigration Lawyer (Texas Board of Legal Specialization) with over 17 years of experience, my passion is immigration law. We will listen to your concerns, answer all your questions, and expertly guide you through your immigration process.” ~ Isaul VERDIN, Founder and Managing Attorney
VERDIN business hours are from 8-5PM Monday through Friday.
Main Number: (214) 741-1700
Toll Free Number: (800) 656-4232
There are several ways to contact VERDIN. Please read the options below and reach out to us.
- To schedule an appointment at any of our locations please call our main number listed below.
- To send an email to us, go to our Contact page.
- If you prefer to Skype, please provide us with your Skype caller identification.
- If you are an existing client and wish to speak with a specific person at VERDIN, please click on “Our Team” in the navigation menu above and choose from one of our team members.
900 Jackson St. Suite 535
Dallas, Texas 75202
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
See Google Map
Main Number: (214) 741-1700
Toll Free Number: (800)-656-4232
Photo Copyright: Asawin Klabma